Saturday, March 22, 2008

Spring Celebrations



March has brought us the Spring Celebrations of St. Patrick’s Day and Easter.

For a short while, had the pleasure of living in the beautiful country of Ireland. I stayed in the small town of Wexford in the south of Ireland, where I developed a keen appreciation for the Irish culture.

The illustrative lettering is an Irish proverb written in Gaelic, the national language of the Irish people. The exercise of writing in a language that I am not familiar with allowed me to see the letters purely as a design element. I wanted the lettering to dance across the page. For me, every stroke in this piece represents the pure joy I felt in the writing process.

Here’s the translation:

Maireann croi e a drom I bhfad.
A light heart lives long.

This little rabbit, illustrated in oil pastels, is getting ready for his Easter feast by bringing in potatoes and corn from his garden. Skipping along the garden path, he looks pretty happy with his bounty!

I hope you have enjoyed the Spring Celebrations as much as I have!

Thanks for checking in!

Janey

No comments: